[squeak-dev] Mouse buttons (was: Browser pane width adjustment)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Dec 15 00:25:13 UTC 2010

On 14.12.2010, at 15:49, Ken G. Brown wrote:

> At 3:02 PM -0800 12/14/10, Bert Freudenberg apparently wrote:
>> On 14.12.2010, at 14:53, Ken G. Brown wrote:
>>
>>> SqueakMouseCmdButton1			3
>>> SqueakMouseCmdButton2			3
>>> SqueakMouseCmdButton3			2
>>> SqueakMouseControlButton1		1
>>> SqueakMouseControlButton2		3
>>> SqueakMouseControlButton3		2
>>> SqueakMouseNoneButton1			1
>>> SqueakMouseNoneButton2			3
>>> SqueakMouseNoneButton3			2
>>> SqueakMouseOptionButton1		2
>>> SqueakMouseOptionButton2		3
>>> SqueakMouseOptionButton3		2
>>>
>>> What does this all mean? Is there somewhere I should be looking?
>>
>> Ignore the SqueakBrowser* options, they are only used in the web browser plugin.
>>
>> On the left are the physical buttons:
>> Button1 = left
>> Button2 = middle
>> Button3 = right
>>
>> On the right are the virtual Squeak buttons:
>> 1 = red
>> 2 = yellow
>> 3 = blue
>>
>> So as you can see, if no modifiers are pressed, by default the middle and right buttons are swapped so you get red-blue-yellow for left-middle-right click. That's because yellow brings up the menu, blue the halo. Many people prefer to get the menu on right-click so that's why this is swapped from the traditional red-yellow-blue order. But you can adjust this to your liking.
>>
>> You can also see that cmd-left click gives blue, and option-left click yellow. That lets you emulate the yellow and blue buttons on a one-button mouse. Etc.
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> Ah, slightly clearer.
> However no two press combination of  cntl, option, and cmd clicks and drag down to the right in a Browser bottom pane does not do anything but bring up menus.
>
> In a fresh Squeak4.2-10788
> ie in the Browser bottom pane:
> 1. cntl-leftclick brings up menu called System Browser with 'grab' as the first entry
> 2. option-leftclick brings up menu with set fonts as first entry
> 3. cmd-leftclick brings up halos
> 4. cntl-opt leftclick and drag down to the right does as 1.
> 5. option-cmd leftclick and drag down to the right does as 2.
> 6. cntl-cmd leftclick and drag down to the right does as 1.
>
> Must need something turned on.
>
> Ken

Sigh. Just press the button on your mouse that usually brings up the halo. Then use the same mouse button together with ctrl to resize. Experiment, and think. It will start to make sense eventually ;)

- Bert -