[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] A Git-based VM sources repositories for you

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 15 02:35:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:23:25PM +0100, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Hello, community
>
> (preface) there was a discussion about using git for VM sources and
> recently in pharo team, we are also discussed that, and decided to go
> on.
> So i started to look for an options and found that Gitorious is best
> solution for us all.
> In contrast to github, it doesn't charging users when their repository
> grow beyond 300Mb in size.
> And its totally free for open-source projects.

Igor,

Thanks for your initiative, and I expect a lively discussion moving forward ;)

To the community at large,

We have a wonderful mix of people participating in Squeak/Etoys/Phoro/Cuis
and other projects, some of whom have be participating for many years, as well
as many newer contributors. Regardless of how the VM(s) are managed in the
future, I would ask that everyone with an interest in this please be respectful
of the people who created the original work for our benefit. In particular,
Andreas, Ian, John, and Eliot have contributed major VM development that
they have made available to us with open source licenses, and Dan Ingalls'
original portable VM is a remarkable piece of work from which we all are
benefiting every day.

So the meta-comment is: Let's all be respectful of the wishes of the original
authors of these works.

For those doing VM platform work, I would ask also that you take the time
to read the various README and documention files to be found in the platforms
sources, as these often contain guidance as to how the code should be managed,
how contributions can most effectively be made to the original authors, and
of course how to build the VM for each respective platform.

Thanks everybody!

Dave