[squeak-dev] Gofer versus Installer was: The Trunk: Morphic-laza.489.mcz

Chis Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 20:42:06 UTC 2010

"Lets accept it. For good or bad, monticello packages are the way to go,

and gofer desing is around this observation."

Your position is too extreme. I argued against SqueakMap about as hard as anybody can six, seven months ago.
I got serious push back. Gofer is great and there are lots of reasons to use it. But I don't see any reason to
break things, or decide for people who want to do things in an older mode.

"Better, add to Installer that which Gofer does that Installer doesn't."

This doesn't seem like a great idea. As somebody pointed out, it has no active maintainer. Lukas maintains Gofer
and there are reasons to use it: closer relationship with Pharo, contemporary MC integration (Metacello).

Chris