[squeak-dev] Re: Mac App Store opens January 6

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Dec 16 21:01:26 UTC 2010

Eliot Miranda wrote:
> So we should be ready to provide Squeak, Pharo, Etoys et al on the
> Mac App Store on 6/1/2011.  John, any advice or should I just go ahead
> and submit Cog and Squeak 4.1 trunk and see what happens?  Other
> cautions suggestions anybody?

I hope it works out! Since I am not a developer, I don't know if this
leaked version of the "terms of use" is true and current:

http://www.cultofmac.com/apples-mac-app-store-approval-guidelines/65022

These parts might be a problem:

# 2.16
#
# Apps that download or install additional code or resources to add
# functionality or change their primary purpose will be rejected

# 2.21
#
# Apps may not use update mechanisms outside of the App Store

And these might or might not be a problem (since the GUI inside the
window is different, but the menus and the window stuff is Mac
compatible):

# 6.3
#
# Apps that do not use system provided items, such as buttons and
# icons, correctly and as described in the Apple Macintosh Human
# Interface Guidelines will be rejected

# 6.4
#
# Apple and our customers place a high value on simple, refined,
# creative, well thought through interfaces. They take more work but
# are worth it. Apple sets a high bar. If your user interface is complex
# or less than very good it may be rejected

At least there isn't the code generation limitations of the iOS App
Store.

-- Jecel