[squeak-dev] Code distribution (was Re: Gofer versus Installer)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Dec 17 11:01:03 UTC 2010

On 17. 12. 2010 05:55, Andreas Raab wrote:
> On 12/16/2010 4:37 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>> In my experience implementations that are written using only a few
>> classes are more difficult to extend because the key assumptions are
>> spread throughout the methods rather than isolated in classes ... you
>> have to copy/modify/maintain a lot of code that is not related to what
>> you are trying to accomplish...
>
> Generally speaking, yes. If you dump everything in a single class or two
> then you're going to end up in a mess. However, if most of your classes
> end up having a single method or two for no tangible benefit, there's a
> bad smell there as well.

Exactly. Extremes are always bad. And both extremes lower the simplicity
and therefore maintability of the code and specially, comprehendibility
by newcommers. That's why also wanted to show with my code stats
comparison between Aida, Seaside and Iliad:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Atnb1W9vuq9ndG4wbUpxNXpKQnFZRlFyQXpHclhZa2c&hl=sl#gid=1

>From "Methods in classes" distribution graph, then from number of
packages and categories you can clearly see two schools of thought here.

I of course claim that Aida "school of thought" with its balanced
distribution of code between methods, classes, categories and packages
is more comprehensible and therefore more simple.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek