[squeak-dev] [4.2] Release Notes - first draft

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 23:32:13 UTC 2010

After reviewing every new package version since 4.1, I came up with
the following for release notes for 4.2.  There were, literally,
dozens of little enhancements, fixes and performance improvements
which I simply decided to summarize under:

  "- Many enhancements, fixes, documentation and performance
improvements to the class-library and IDE tools."

The remaining items either weren't an enhancment, fix, doc of perf, or
otherwise seemed worth mentioning individually.

I've put as much time as I can afford into this one, but it could use
your help in touching these up.  Please add any _major_ (not minor,
please) items I may have missed.  Please improve wording of items that
need it; for example: "- Finalization enhancements.".

Please make final changes on the wiki page:

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6160

rather than replying here, since that would leave the updates
fragmented among multiple e-mails.

What we end up with on the wiki page is what we will use for the release.

Thanks you!
  Chris

Squeak 4.2 Release Notes

- Compatible with the new Cog VM which provides roughly a 3X,
across-the-board, performance improvement.
- Compatible with signature Squeak packages.
- Many enhancements, fixes, documentation and performance improvements
to the class-library and IDE tools.
- Improved package-dependencies.
- A new number parser allows greater flexibility in the expression of numbers.
- Finalization enhancements.
- Support for caching of block computations, without need for the
developer to declare a variable.  ^[time-consuming computation] once
- An interface to the operating system stdio.
- Stricter Rectangles assert screen coordinate orientation.  Empty
Rectangles no longer #intersect: anything.
- A tidier image and code-base.  Introduced a cleanUp protocol,
removed the last direct users of CrLfFileStream, j3 support,
SyntaxError, and more.  Various packages and fonts can now be
unloaded, if a smaller image is desired.
- Replaced the last of the underscore assignments with ANSI assignments.
- A refactoring and unification of Smalltalk and SmalltalkImage globals.
- Support for translucent fonts.
- Squeak's internal timer clock has been improved from millisecond to
microsecond level precision.
- Many enhancements to the internal text editor.
- Added an efficient window-resizing gesture, allowing Squeak windows
to be quickly and easily manipulated.
- A new HelpSystem and Help menu guide new users.
- Restored support for MVC projects.
- SUnit tests now may timeout.
- Improved Squeak's command-line interface to properly support
relative-path qualification to the input script.