[squeak-dev] Re: [4.2] Release Notes - first draft

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Dec 25 13:04:40 UTC 2010

On 12/25/2010 1:42 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>      the block once mechanism depends on an unimplemented compiler
> optimization (that blocks without reference to their outer environment
> are created at compile-time) and so we can't announce this until the
> compiler work has been done.  Cog performance is much more variable than
> "roughly 3x".  Teleplace saw a 3x improvement in frame rate (i.e. an
> improvement of 3x in a real application).  Benchmarks vary much more
> widely (from < 1x to 5x, with some people claiming 10x for specifics) so
> perhaps "significant performance increases" is better.

But that will leave people asking "so how much faster???" How about
combining the two:

- Compatible with the new Cog VM which provides roughly a 3x,
across-the-board, performance improvement. Specific Benchmarks vary much
more  widely (from < 1x to 5x, with some people claiming 10x for specifics).

Cheers,
   - Andreas