[squeak-dev] A Bootstrap Compiler

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 14:19:20 UTC 2010

On 28 December 2010 14:47, Nikolay Suslov <nsuslovi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Nikolay Suslov <nsuslovi at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Thinking, that nobody here will argue about image-side compiler and it's
>> > capabilities.. etc.
>> >
>> > But, Yoshiki is talking about, that you could "generate a growable image
>> > file from all
>> > text files, or make deep changes to the system without shooting
>> > yourself".
>> > And this is really awesome and so long waited step!
>>
>> Well, you do need a C compiler, presumably in the form of an
>> executable binary.
>
> Yes, of course, and C compiler is available anywhere!.. then for
> bootstrapping the image you will just need sources in a text form..

machine code available everywhere, C are not :)

>> And if you're going to grant special dispensation
>> to an "external tool" implemented in C, why not to an external tool
>> implemented in Smalltalk?
>>

> sure, may be eventually this "external tool" could be bootstrapped by Ian's
> COLA...  also just from "all text files", needing in a C compiler on the
> first stages only.

can anyone tell me, when last time he had to deal with hardware, which
having no preinstalled operating system/BIOS up and running,
or there only C compiler and no any other languages which can run on it?

P.S. i think i know the answer to question why "computer revolution
didn't happened yet",
because every time people inventing something new, they implementing it in C.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.