[squeak-dev] Extended Clipboard (was: Playing Flash movies in-image)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Dec 31 11:32:11 UTC 2010

On 30.12.2010, at 18:31, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Since you are in there, and dragging the FFI stuff about you might consider grabbing the clipboard stuff
> so that we can copy/paste graphics on windows/mac to/from squeak?
>
> I took a run at it a year back but I'm afraid the Windows community just couldn't care less so I couldn't get any
> testers or confirmation  that it worked there.
>
> Today I'd suggest we just abandon them and let them sort it out later.
>
> I put the image & changes at
>
> ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/experimental
>
> pharo.extendedClipboard.2.zip
>

> For image read/writing it uses  SophieImageReadWriter which uses Quicktime's api to translate any supported media types into bitmaps.
> If that fails or is not available it just like SophieMovie grinds down a decsion tree to find a supported Squeak plugin or smalltalk code to
> decode the supplied mime-type.
>

> PS ya, I see currentMIMETypes := SophieBookEditor clipboardMimeTypes.  but SophieBookEditor is not there and
> ExtendedClipboardMacInterface>>copyImageDataFromClipboard   but is that used? or did I replace it with ExternalClipboard

We use the extended clipboard plugin in Etoys. Copying/pasting bitmaps or rich text between apps works nicely (on Mac and Unix anyway, Windows remains to be implemented).

However, there is one major issue: When pasting, we have not found a way to determine which clipboard should take precedence - Squeak's text clipboard, Morphic's object clipboard, the system's string clipboard, or the extended Text/Bitmap/Etc. clipboard. In Sophie I guess you used the extended clipboard exclusively, but for Squeak it's not quite as clear-cut ...

- Bert -