[Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Curl plugin problems

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:39:45 UTC 2010

The curl plugin works very well and is very fast for the parts that it
is supposed to work on.

The problem is, that it does not provide a complete API to all the
functionality of libcurl. For example, it is impossible to perform
more sophisticated operations on protocols other than HTTP (like FTP).
Worst of all, there is no way to work around this, because the plugin
provides no direct access to the few low-level functions of libcurl
(like curl_easy_setopt). Instead it wraps many (but by large not all)
possible parameter combinations into an army of rigid primitives :-(

I guess I'll to wait for CurlAlien to come alive.

Lukas

On 1 February 2010 19:21, John M McIntosh
<johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
>> The Mac CurlPlugin in mac vm is generated at the moment from an older
>> version. It is missing functions to add http headers (e.g. to
>> authenticate against GData ClientLogin) .
>
> So is that part fixed now?
>
> On 2010-02-01, at 4:38 AM, Schmidt, Marco wrote:
>
>> I began working on an Alien-Curl-Wrapper too. The main problem (for me) was    the missing Alien support under WIN32/LINUX. Without Alien support it is easier to use the current CurlPlugin (with the changes to add header fields to the http requests). A long time ago I requested the integration of these changes in the squeak-vm list (see http://n4.nabble.com/CurlPlugin-23-under-Linux-td276117.html#a276117)...
>>
>> Marco Schmidt
>
> --
> John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com