[squeak-dev] 3.11 questions

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 15:34:19 UTC 2010

It looks like I finally have an opportunity to make a push to upgrade
our platform to 3.11 (from 3.9).  I've started looking around and have
a few questions.

1) VM:  what VM should I be using for Linux?  I guess I need a
closure-enabled VM, is there one already pre-built somewhere?  I
looked all over squeak.ftp.org but didn't see it.  I'm running with
the Pharo VM in the meantime.

2) What is the best approach for getting started with loading and
porting my packages?  I'd like to start by running my test cases, but
I cannot open a SqueakMap Package Loader (should I be able to?) to
easily load my SAR's.

3)  Monticello:  Since Monticello also does not support loading of
Monticello Configurations, is there an easier way I can do this than
the software configuration problem in 3.11, but it doesn't have to be
MC Configurations.  What is the current best-practice for making a
single-click loadable configuration in 3.11?

4) I have refactored DirectoryEntry to no longer inherit from
ArrayedCollection.  Is this an improvement with any community
interest?  If so, I would like try the contribution process.  Do I
just save my new Files package to http://source.squeak.org/inbox?  I
don't see much of anything else in there, is this still the process?
Where can I learn about how to contribute?

I do hope to return to greater participation in community like I used
to.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  Chris