[squeak-dev] preserving heritage (was: filtered menu in 3.11)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 02:38:01 UTC 2010

Squeak has been such a great journey, and its own historical path is
somewhat captured in the timestamp / author-stamp information of the
individual methods.

I think it is worthwhile to revert methods properly; meaning to truly
revert them not just to the prior code, but to the prior accounting
record associated with that.

With Monticello, it is relatively easy to retrieve the original method
from the prior version.  Proper reversion is one reason for keeping
around all the old versions of code.

More importantly, however, I think we should take care to revert
methods properly so that the original history and heritage of the
object-model that is the latest and greatest Squeak image, be
preserved as much as possible.

I do it even with just my own code, even when I'm the same initials,
because it is still worth it to me to know, _when_ was that method
written.  How long has that method been sitting there, unchanged.

Again, I think it's worth it, and I hope others will consider the
value of adopting this practice as well.

Thank you,
  Chris