[squeak-dev] Shouldn't DataStreams be binary?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 05:34:08 UTC 2010

I've been combing through the 3.11 image and came across another
"missing fix" that I've been running with in my 3.9 for the last few
years.  Are you ready for this?

  DataStream>>#fileNamed:
  DataStream>>#oldFileNamed:

When FileStreams were changed from a default of binary mode to text
mode, the assumption these methods make that the opened file-stream is
binary became incorrect.

In older images like 3.9, this problem caused the inability to load
preferences.  I'm not sure how that seems to be working now in 3.11,
but nevertheless it seems to me that any DataStream would need to be
binary, wouldn't it?