[squeak-dev] Re: Still pounding head against wall over glReadPixels => external buffer

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Feb 10 16:58:09 UTC 2010

Lawson English wrote:
> I'm still having problems with my external shared memory thingie. I can
> evoke the unix shm* calls and obtain a reference to a shared memory
> buffer and attach it to squeak's heap. I can write into it and read
> back. I can even attach the same shared memory to two different
> instances of squeak and write to the buffer in one and read it with the
> other. What I still cannot figure out is how to take that external
> buffer and direct the OpenGL>>glReadPixels call to it so that I can draw
> using squeak and have it become a bitmap for a different application.

Post your code. Using glReadPixels is straightforward, so there must be
something simple in your code that goes wrong. Simply speaking the
following should work fine:

"Allocate or obtain shared memory buffer"
xHandle := ExternalHandle allocate: rect width * rect height * 4.

"Convert it to ExternalData"
xData := ExternalData fromHandle: xHandle type: ExternalType void
asPointerType.

"Call glReadPixels"
ogl
	glReadPixels: rect left