[squeak-dev] WriteBarrier in trunk

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 17:45:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:45 AM, radoslav hodnicak <rh at 4096.sk> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>  There is no version of the NewCompiler that fully works with closure
>> images yet.
>>
>> And yes, the NewCompiler requires the whole kitchen sink and also the
>> bathtub.
>>

> In the light of this answer, I remember there's been a plan to support
> immutability of objects at the VM level? Is that on the roadmap for Cog?

No, but the code exists in the Newspeak VM, so it would be easy to import
into current Squeak VMs.  It would take a little more work to bring it into
Cog because I'd have to write the native code for the write checks in inst
var assign and the at: primitive, but this is literally only a little work.

Someone who has time might look at the Newspeak VM's immutability code and
play with merging it with VMMaker.