[squeak-dev] week of cilantro

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 11 12:36:38 UTC 2010

Last Saturday Faith made a dish we both like a lot, which has chicken,
lentils, cherries, apricots and cilantro.  Cilantro always comes in
large amounts, and Faith always complains that she ends up throwing
away most of it, so i said "why don't you look for other dishes that
take cilantro?"  So, she went through her collection and found a
bunch.  One of them called for an ingredient we didn't have; chipotle
in adobo sauce.  She said she would make it if I would find the
ingredient, so I visted three grocery stores and eventually found it.
It is a large can, and we just used a couple of the peppers inside.
The dish was a very chunky soup, and the peppers made it spicy.  In
fact, it was so spicy that Faith couldn't eat it, though I thought it
was very good, and when Caleb tried some when he came home to pick up
something, he said that he didn't think it was hot at all.  (I think
he was just pulling his mother's leg.)  But this experience did not
ruin our enthusiasm for cilantro.  The next day we had black beans and
rice.  Yesterday we had the "Mexican shepherd's pie" that Faith made
for you at Christmas.  We still have some cilantro left and Faith is
looking for another recipie.

I'm not sure if she is going to cook tonight or if we will have
left-overs.  The spicy soup is all gone (I had it for lunch twice) but
we have some of the black beans and the shepherd's pie left.  But I
know she will not cook tomorrow because we are eating out.  We are
going to eat at The Spice Box, which is a student-operated restaurant
on campus.  The students who run it are in  the nutrician school.
They are open every Friday and some Wednesdays.  Each evening is the
senior project of one of the students.  We went a few weeks ago and
enjoyed it, so we signed up for a number of other weeks.  Each week
has a different theme.  This week the theme is "Latin
American/Mexico".   I wonder if they have a dish with cilantro in it?

-Ralph