[squeak-dev] [Cuis] 32Mb Sources limit

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 14 21:49:35 UTC 2010

On 14 Feb 2010, at 21:22, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 14 February 2010 16:13, keith <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Juan,
>>
>> Do you have any thoughts you would like to share about on what you
>> want do
>> about this issue?
>>
>> I wonder if there is any documentation on the 3.11-trunk
>> implementation of
>> method trailers? Does it meet the simplicity criteria for Cuis?
>>
>> I have working a StandardSourceFileArrayPlus which multiplies the
>> existing
>> sourceFile pointer by 16 giving a theoretical sources/changes limit
>> of
>> 512Mb. This seems to work ok as an experiment.
>>

> New trailers imposing no limit to a file size. It can be of any size.
>
>> Keith

Thanks Igor,

I understood that bit.

My question is whether Juan has an opinion on your implementation with
regards simplicity/elegance/economy and his goals for Cuis.

My use of Cuis is always building from the base start image so I am
unlikely to hit the limit any time soon, however the limit can be
extended to 512MB with about 4 methods, once the System-Sources
refactoring I am working on is complete (i.e. moving references to
RemoteString into the System-Sources package).

It may be simpler to use my solution, however it might be useful for
you to give us some indication of what the trade-offs are. Memory
overhead etc.

The cost of my solution is that the sources/changes files bloat by
roughly 0.03% as records are padded to be saved on 16 byte boundaries.

regards

Keith