Hi Chris, stop messing with the windows please (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.344.mcz)

radoslav hodnicak rh at 4096.sk
Mon Feb 15 19:04:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Chris Muller wrote:

> Hi radoslav, I thought everyone would cheering with gratitude for this
> change!  I'm pretty surprised and sorry you don't like it.
>
> The purpose of the change is to offload work from the user/developer
> to the computer by reducing unnecessary window proliferation.  I've
> been enjoying the enhanced productivity since 2002.
>
>> While the changes to opening MC are dubious (in my book) but relatively
>> harmless, applying the same process to hierarchy browsers stinks.
>
> Wow, dubious?  Why?

As I said in the other email (reply to Tobias' message), the fact that
other tools don't reuse windows and MC does is inconsistent, which makes
it a dubious change. I value consistency.

And why I don't like these changes - back when 14" monitors were the norm,
smalltalk IDEs could indeed get quite crowded with all the opened windows,
but nowadays with all the screen estate we have I have no problem keeping
dozens of windows open at the same time/stacked somewhere. For me having
lots of windows is a feature not an annoyance. I routinely change the
color on my windows to group them by "mental context" - red windows
mean stuff I must look at before I close them (say, inserting halts
and such), blue windows might be centered around researching one problem,
and yellow windows for looking at another area etc etc. With such
system, it's highly disruptive when a window in one "context" gets
reused for another context and its original content is lost.

>> 4) where will this stop? one window to rule them all? :p
>
> What the hell are you talking about?

I mean - do you plan to adjust other types of browsers/tools to reuse
existing instances?

Regards, rado