[squeak-dev] Historical research and curiosity Q: What ever happened to #bitAt:put:

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 04:16:36 UTC 2010

Hi all,

As a bug tracker, I sometimes get into the mood for historical research. What happened 30 years ago and how does it affect us now?

So with my faithful mischief maker puck looking over my shoulder I have been reading the Draft Ansi Smalltalk Standard.

I mention puck because when we don't recognize something he suggests ways to try things out. Doing so we found that

15 bitAt: 1 "works and returns 1"

yet

15 bitAt: 1 put 0 "is not understood, It brings up a spelling corrector."

So I'm stumped.

Does squeak differ from the standard by not implementing bitAt:put:

Did the selector not make it in to the final standard?

How do the other major smalltalks ( Cincom, Gemstone, Newspeak) compare in the implementation of #bitAt:put: ?