[squeak-dev] a little more due process

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 20:41:22 UTC 2010

> I did some contributions to both trunk and Pharo :)
> They're small and insignificant. But i'm not telling people what they
> should do

The board needs terms of reference, that is all I am saying.
Apparently I am not the only one who thinks so.

> and not fighting over a years
> about direction they choosing.
> You could battle with them all the time, but the fact is, that there
> is a progress. And it doesn't really matter that you thinking it
> 'wrong'.

Progress in the wrong direction is not progress.

Having a community in which the release team is not working in irc,
members of board that cant be bothered with even the simplest
communication and discussion, is not progress.

> Progress is good, everything else is just blabbering noise.
> Please, understand that it is very slow process to hop on to new
> quality level (minimal image, modular design).It takes years and
> years.. and can't be decided politically.

You are telling me? I thought it was decided politically?

I put 3 years into THIS goal with the board's approval, and you
scuppered me without a second thought because you were too impatient
to even email me to ask how far away a release would be, and now you
tell ME to be patient!!!!

>  People should realize what
> they gaining and what they losing and why they need it.

I am sure people would love to know what they are gaining and loosing,
however this would require communication, and due process where the
board compared actual options and proposals, and made recommendations.
They could even set up healthy competition between proposals. This is
not the world of the current squeak SOB.

> Only then when
> we get a critical mass, we can move. But not now.

You sure have critical mass, but I am not sure it is the "critical"
you wanted.

> P.S. If you wait long enough, you'll see how corpses of your enemies
> drifting down the river. (Chinese lore).

Why does anyone have enemies, we are an open source project for
goodness sake. We have this apparent view where the board thinks it
can run the community by invoking charismatic dictatorship, over
actual planning, talking and enabling amongst mutual participants
within the community.

This mess is a mess of the board's making, no one else's, and it
happened because of lack of "due process".

Keith