[squeak-dev] Re: a little more due process

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Feb 17 00:17:06 UTC 2010

keith wrote:
>> With such an outrageous claim, can I ask you to either provide actual
>> evidence (quotes, logs, etc) which board members believe this to be a
>> dictatorship or, if you are unable to provide said evidence, retract
>> your false accusation?
>
> Your wish is my command. You may have been puzzled as to why I have been
> so vocal, I am only reacting against this kind of dictatorship talk.

Is that all you got? A single quote from a single discussion on IRC? If
anything it goes to show that my dislike of IRC is well justified. The
inability to make a complete argument combined with public logs makes
sure that if you actually engage in discussion you're going to say
certain things that should be off-records; except they're not because
it's in the logs.

I *very* much doubt that Randal meant this sentence as a "It's a
dictatorship, damnit, get used to it!" but rather as a casual
observation to get a point across as one would in a casual conversation.
I would disagree even with that but I have no doubt that Randal used a
bit of rhetoric to emphasize the point that a decision must be made
somewhere at times, and that he's willing to take this responsibility
(which I agree with but that's a very long shot from calling it a
dictatorship). Misinterpreting him in the way you're doing is basically
assuming bad faith on Randal's behalf.

I don't use IRC precisely for the reason that it's not a medium to make
a concise argument; it's a discussion medium where thoughts flow freely
and the written argument shouldn't be recorded any more than when you
have a verbal conversation over lunch.

Cheers,
   - Andreas