[squeak-dev] Towards a Trunk Release [help needed]

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Feb 19 08:52:33 UTC 2010

Folks -

This is part two of two about upcoming releases. Besides the 4.0 release
we need to get ready for a release from the trunk. If you look at rather
long list of improvements this is a good time to get a release out.

One of the things that's a bit odd here is that we don't know yet
whether the trunk release will become 3.11 or 4.1. That's because it
depends on whether we can get the relicensing done before the trunk
release is ready or not. If the 4.0 release happens relatively quickly,
we can go straight to 4.1. However, at the board meeting we had
agreement that we didn't want to introduce an artificial dependency
here, so we'll be working towards 3.11 and if 4.0 gets done in time
we'll just jump straight into 4.1.

To avoid confusion, let's refer to it as "trunk release" until we have
more clarity of what version it is likely to be.

The real question is what remains to be done for the next release. In
theory, we could just release a trunk image pretty much "as is" but from
my perspective this is aiming too low. I'd like to make this a richer
release than what a trunk image contains. To do this we'll have to find
consensus about:
* what documentation to include
* what external/optional packages to include
* what the welcome screen should look like
* what extra projects to include
* ... and more ....
and that's besides the usual release work of ensuring that we've got the
tests green, packaging Squeak for the platforms and so on.

I think what we're looking for here is really a release manager and team
that think a bit like a product manager. We have a Squeak image and
there's plenty of interesting code out there, what we need to do is to
build an interesting AND useful artifact that we like as a starting
point for people to explore Squeak.

I know some people have expressed interest in the release manager role
for the next release (nudge, nudge Edgar :-) so again we need volunteers
both for driving the process, decide on the deadlines, and get things
done as well as team members for the various bits to be done.

Please don't be shy. If you'd like to actively participate in the next
release, post your thoughts.

Cheers,
   - Andreas