[squeak-dev] Upgrade fail after Files-cmm.68

casimiro barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 17:08:49 UTC 2010

Hello,

About two weeks ago I posted a kind of bug report related to a crash during
update process. The answers were inconclusive, it was something related to
not being able to write to the squeak.changes file... Then I didn't have
access to the box where the problem was happening for this time & just today
I had chance to look what's happening.

   1. Downloaded Squeak3.11-9371-alpha.zip
   2. Renamed files to squeak.image and squeak.changes
   3. Started squeakvm with following script:
   #!/bin/bash

   LC_CTYPE=pt_BR.UTF-8
   LC_ALL=pt_BR.UTF-8
   export LC_CTYPE LC_ALL

   SQUEAK_ENCODING=Latin9
   SQUEAK_TEXTENC=UTF-8
   SQUEAK_PATHENC=UTF-8
   export SQUEAK_ENCODING SQUEAK_TEXTENC SQUEAK_PATHENC

   /usr/local/bin/squeak squeak.image &

   4. Pressed <Load Code Updates> button
   5. While "Reloading Files-cmm.68" got a window with the following
   content:
   Syntax Error
   DirectoryEntry <none> /
   <<<This string contains a character (ascii value 3) that is not normally
   used in code>>> /Ã EURO Nothing more expected
   ->  à EURO o Â-Â(R)" +)vê;W $^ù à Mà   öºà tJà  M
   6. Cancel update
   7. Pres <Load Code Updates> again
   8. I get the error "Improper store into indexable object"
   The error appears at the method MCPackage>>snapshot when: t2 add: t4
   asMethodDefinition
   MethodReference>>forMethodReference
   MCMethodDefinition>>forMethodReference
   ... timeStamp: aMethodReference timeStamp
   MethodReference>>timeStamp
   CompiledMethod>>timeStamp
   CompiledMethod>>getPreambleFrom:at:
       ifTrue: [ ^writeStream contents reverse ]
       ifFalse: [ writeStream nextPut: c ]
        ... c is nil *****
   WriteStream>>nextPut:
   etc...

--
The information contained in this message is confidential and
intended to the recipients specified in the headers. If you received