[squeak-dev] Towards a Trunk Release [help needed]

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Feb 19 19:07:48 UTC 2010

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> On 19 February 2010 20:19, Ken G. Brown <kbrown at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Whatever you call the trunk release, in my opinion it should not be called 3.11. There is too much out there already talking about 3.11 and it's history, and if you call the proposed trunk release 3.11, there will continue to be confusion generated far into the future.
>>
>> eg:
>> <http://installer.pbworks.com/311>
>>  <http://installer.pbworks.com/Squeak311>
>>  This is the Proposal to the board which was to my knowledge accepted.
>>  <http://installer.pbworks.com/Squeak311Proposal>
>>
>> In my view, the better way forward would be restore the ftp directory structure to what it was: 3.11 and its previous contents still called 3.11 and not pointing to trunk, add a readme in the 3.11 directory saying 3.11 was never a proper official release and be done with it.
>>

> What version number you suggesting then for trunk release?
> And since original 3.11 effort is abandoned, and there no any official
> releases, what images can be called 3.11 then?

There's no need to have an official and final 3.11, in the same way
there was never an official 3.3. It is pretty clear to me that trunk is
not 3.11! I guess 3.12 is a reasonable number. But it would be even
better if it could be called 4.0, if the relicense process is done by then.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich