[squeak-dev] Low Space Warning

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Fri Feb 19 21:25:20 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

I'm getting a weird problem, and its been so many years since I saw
this, I'm at a loss as to what to do...

On my robot Brainbot, I have a 2.83 GHz Core 2 Quad with 2 GB RAM and
a 32 GB solid state HD. It is running Windows XP Pro.

I'm getting a Low Space Notifier whenever I try and copy text to the
clipboard, or when I try and paste. I can do other development things,
writing a saving code, and opening browsers and windows with no
problems.

Task Manager says Squeak is taking up 37,980 K, and the machine has
1.2 GB of free physical memory.

I'm running the following VM:

Squeak 3.10.6 (release) from Aug 30 2007

And the following image:

Squeak 3.10.2
latest update: #7179

When I run Utilities garbageCollectAndReport, I get this:

6,038,864 bytes (internal)
506,832,208 bytes (physical)
373,974,352 bytes (total)

I am running the following GC setup code in that image:

	Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrow: 1.

	"do an  incremental GC after  this many allocations"
	SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 5 put: 8000.
	"tenure when more  than this  many objects survive the GC"
	SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 6 put: 4000.

	"grow headroom"
	SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 25 put: 24*1024*1024.
	"shrink threshold"
	SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 24 put: 48*1024*1024.

	Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: 16*1024*1024.
	Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrow: 1.

Those are basically values I copied from something that appeared on
this list a few years ago.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jon