[squeak-dev] KedamaGPU, etc. (was: "OpenCL bindings for Squeak")

Josh Gargus josh at schwa.ca
Sat Feb 20 22:03:37 UTC 2010

While I was hacking away on my OpenCL bindings, I was thinking about what kind of small, fun demos I could include.  When I was first exposed to Squeak, one of the things that hooked me were the various Morphic demos, like curved text, bouncing-atoms, and the magnifier morph, all with the source code right there to learn from.  Jeff Pierce's wonderful port of Alice did the same thing for 3D.

We're at the beginning of a new era in computing, where a $1000 laptop has a CPU with 4 cores and a GPU with dozens.  What will be the new demos that catch the imagination of teenage Squeakers that are growing up with such computers?

The most obvious idea is to integrate Yoshiki's Kedama with OpenCL.  Conceptually, this seems to be a perfect fit, and I think that it would be a lot of fun.  Anybody interested in working on this with me?  Yoshiki?

I have some other ideas, but now I'm looking for yours.  I know that the interests of the Squeak community are broad, and I'm interested in hearing your ideas for small demos that communicate the power and flexibility of our system.

Cheers,
Josh