[squeak-dev] Finalization enhancement

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Feb 21 17:18:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

since WeakRegistry is refactored, there's an easy way to enhance
finalization performance, by changing WeakRegistry >> #installFinalizer's
implementation to

installFinalizer

 	valueDictionary finalizer: #finalize

This means that the object finalizers (executors) are not collected, but
are immediately evaluated whenever the WeakRegistry finds them. Therefore
these objects live for a shorter time and need less administration.
But there's a side effect. Currently only the WeakArray finalization
process can evaluate the finalizers'. If we change this, any process which
accesses the WeakRegistry may evaluate finalizers.

I can't think of any problem with the side effect, but I may be
wrong. Should we change the current behavior?

Cheers,
Levente