[squeak-dev] Re: Towards Squeak 4.0 [help needed]

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Tue Feb 23 09:52:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 19:00 -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Igor Stasenko wrote:
> > Honestly, i'd like to see someone with better English communication
> > abilities than Edgar.
> > As to me, this is the main barrier between us - often i completely DNU
> > what Edgar says.
> > Or.. maybe its just me. If so, then forget what i'm saying.
> > I just thinking that understanding each other is the key to success.
> >
> > @Edgar: Please don't take this as an offense, but i had to say it.
> > And, of course, i'm not questioning your programming skills and Squeak
> > experience.
>
> I disagree for several reasons. First, Edgar has already managed to lead
> a release to successful completion which is no small feat. Second,
> there's the small matter of who instead would sign up to be the lead for
> the release. If there are alternative offers the board has a choice but
> so far the only person I've seen actively volunteering (several times)
> was Edgar. To be honest, I had feared noone would raise their hand
> because it's real work and real time to be invested. But let me repeat
> this: If there's anyone else who wants to lead the trunk release, RAISE
> YOUR HAND.
>
> If that means having to read less than perfect English, I can cope with
> that. Edgar is a good-natured person and if you retain your humor his
> notes can be quite funny :-)
>
> Edgar needs our help, of course, and perhaps a bit more in the language
> area than others. I'm more than willing to help him in this area because
> he's got some real work ahead of him and needs support from everyone, in
> every possible area you can think of.

I would like to participate on the release team. Clearly you need people
with more technical experience than I have, but I am pretty good at
writing and would be willing to help at least with that. I can offer
Win7, FreeBSD 8.0, Ubuntu 9.10, and OS X PowerPC and Intel to test
releases on.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com