[squeak-dev] Re: HelpSystem & Class comments

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 18:12:16 UTC 2010

> That's fine too. I honestly don't care, I just need *some* mechanism.

My SimplestThing approach for managing ReadMe file content within the
image is described in the following discussion, and it uses class
comments for simple in-image storage. In cuis class comments aren't
styled so they look a bit plain, but do the job.

http://smalltalkers.pbworks.com/System-Info

We used to have a bob task that opens all the .text files it could
find in workspaces. We added file handling capabilities to MC as well,
so that you could have a Readme-ar.1.mcz. There is also a fix in
mantis which allows workspaces to know the file they belong to, and
save on accept, revert and so forth. (Search for "Workspace
convenience methods" if that is of interest)

My current solution is that the default behavior of InstallSeries is
to open any *.text files in a workspace. So any readme's that a
package or patch wants to display are added to the updates stream like
so e.g. 0020/Readme.text

Keith