[squeak-dev] [Squeak 4.0] Anyone know much about the format of the sources/changes files?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Feb 25 08:16:20 UTC 2010

On 25.02.2010, at 02:38, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Ronald> Good people of Squeak,
> Ronald> We need to have a license statement at the top of our sources file for
> Ronald> the 4.0 release. I've been futsing with it without success.
>
> Ronald> I've tried:
>
> Ronald> 'foo'!
> Ronald> 'foo'!!
> Ronald> !'foo'!
>
> (I think) The sources file is always accessed according to byte offsets.  Look
> at the code for #condenseSources, and make sure the first thing it does is
> write the license before rewriting everything else.

Randal is right. You can not just add something at the beginning of the sources or changes file. These are *NOT* text files but databases, the offsets are held in the image (each method knows the file position of its source code). The normal way to put a license in the beginning would be via #condenseSources - which we need to do anyway to purge all older versions of methods.

- Bert -