[squeak-dev] Installer vs. Code Loader (was: The Trunk: Collections-edc.314.mcz)

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Feb 25 17:59:57 UTC 2010

On 2/25/10 2:35 PM, "keith" <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I'd think that any non-core image should have Installer. And a core
>>> image should not have CodeLoader either.

> I think it would help to clarify nomenclature (again)...
>
> kernel
> core
> build
> basic
> developer / fun
> web / full
> max
>
> The kernel image would be the image with an absolute minimum, except I
> would argue the ability to specify a single local script on the
> command line, &/ a REPL to the console. The kernel would not even be
> expected to have a UI, and it does not have to be usable, apart from
> running command line scripts, or something.

> A core image is one that has a GUI, is usable, and has one dependency
> (i.e. Installer or equivalent) for loading anything else.
> i.e. it should not have MC because MC is loadable easily with
> installer. If you do provide MC in the core then you potentially
> prevent others from loading different implementations of MC.

> A build image is one that has a selection of tools for building bigger
> images, so might have one or more of SqueakMap, Universes, MC, Gofer
> Metacello etc.
>
> A basic image would be the standard release. I.e. a selection of tools
> chosen and loaded out of the menu of available options. i.e. pick the
> Transcript implementation, Browsers etc.
>
> Developer/web/seaside/magma derived images for different purposes,
> either based on "basic", with the standard tools, or "build" with non-
> standard tools
>
> full/fun - the old style everything interesting demo as we had with
> 3.7-full
>
> max - every package that can load loaded.
>
> regards
>
> Keith

First time I agree with Keith in long time.

I see a pattern in the disagree of all other Masters.
And is a cultural , not a technical one.
Here in Argentina , people try to squish older things beyond his designed
use.

But I don wish hurt any.
If a small change to business as usual could have the cause the dead of
Squeak also I vote for revert CodeLoader.

And I send the code here, not guilty if nobody say is not good before I put
into repositories.

Stick myself to discover bugs.

Edgar