[squeak-dev] [Squeak 4.0] Welcome text (work in progress)

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 09:29:06 UTC 2010

On Friday 26 February 2010 01:25:54 pm Ronald Spengler wrote:
> Welcome to Squeak - a free, open Smalltalk system.
>
> Squeak is an open source implementation of Smalltalk that includes an
> expansive and rapidly developing world of objects.
The introduction may suit experienced developers but will leave many beginners
in the dark. I have long wished for a short, clear pitch for "What is Squeak?"
that I could dish out to students and teachers. How do we introduce it in a
way that a broad swathe of programmers can grasp its essence and uniqueness?
What can we put "on the tin" ?

How about:
  Squeak is a free and open Smalltalk interpreter designed to build compact,
multi-platform software.

What makes Squeak stand apart from other interpreters? speed of development?
framework collection? platform coverage? ease of porting?

Subbu