[squeak-dev] Re: 0007439: Selection in Trunk text editors does not extend correctly

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Feb 26 15:25:21 UTC 2010

Andreas Raab wrote:
> On 2/26/2010 2:27 PM, Balázs Kósi wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what's wrong with shift-click selection to begin with.
>>> It seems
>>> tp work perfectly fine for me. Perhaps a platform issue? I'm on
>>> Windows.
>> It happens under both mac and windows for me:
>>
>> Open a Workspace. Type aaa bbb. Position the cursor in aaa.
>> Hold down shift, click on bbb. aaa gets selected, instead of
>> selecting from the cursor to the character you clicked.
>
> Got it, thanks. (I had accidentally used an old workspace that still
> had a TextMorphEditor installed)
>
> Only Juan could say for sure if there was some intention behind
> changing this but this is clearly broken so my take on it would be to
> fix it first and ask questions later :-) It's easily undone if it
> turns out not to be the preferred choice of fixing it but I can see
> how that might be annoying.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
:) The reason for that change is to support the 'tap and wait' gesture
to open the menu in Cuis. This is good for pen computers and 1-button
mice, and having to move a bit the mouse to extend selection doesn't
sound that bad to me. Anyway, 'tap and wait' is not working in Squeak,
so it might make sense to reverse it.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich