[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak 4.0] A Couple of Methods (PLEASE REVIEW)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Feb 27 02:39:59 UTC 2010

On 2/27/2010 3:32 AM, Ronald Spengler wrote:
> With regard to these copyright issues the good people have raised, though:
>
> Do these things block relicensing? If so, I'll address them. Most
> likely I would rip those methods out. 4.0 only needs to work well
> enough to fix, if you think about it. It's neither a quality release
> nor a feature release. It's a freedom release. If these things don't
> impede relicensing, they're outside the scope of 4.0.

It's a good question. The exact phrasing of the copyright notice in the
license might matter. Or it might not. I just don't know. FWIW, here is
what we said in the Croquet license:

	Copyright © 2002-2007 by The Croquet Consortium, Inc. and other
individual, corporate, and institutional contributors who have
collectively contributed elements of the CroquetTM software code to the
Croquet Project. CroquetTM is a trademark of The Croquet Consortium, Inc..

We could adopt something similar and say, e.g.,

	Copyright © 1996-2010 by the individual, corporate, and institutional
contributors who have collectively contributed elements to this software.

> For those interested in my philosophy regarding this release, here it is:
>
> Squeak is like a ball. My job is to run as fast as I can, and touch it
> down past a particular line on the AstroTurf, without letting anything
> stop me on the way.

This is by *far* the best description of the job I've seen :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas