[squeak-dev] Trivial questions?

Friedrich Dominicus frido at q-software-solutions.de
Fri Jan 1 08:54:51 UTC 2010

James Foster <Smalltalk at JGFoster.net> writes:

> On Dec 31, 2009, at 12:29 AM, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:
>
>> Dear Smalltalker, I'm trying to get into Smalltalk a bit more
>> seriously. I'm especially currently trying to get into Seaside
>> programmming and the persistence of Objects. I found GLASS, which seems
>> to be remarkabel in that aspect.
>
> Welcome!
>
>> Now I wonder
>>
>> 1) How does one do versioning in Smalltalk. AFAIU it seems, one files
>> out ChangeSets which then can be read in in another image. Am I wrong
>> about that?
>
> As mentioned, Monticello is typically used in
> Squeak/Pharo/Gemstone. Other dialects (implementations) of Smalltalk
> have their own, proprietary approach to code versioning. In Cincom
> Smalltalk it is Store; in VA Smalltalk it is Envy; and in Dolphin it
> is Source Tracking System.
Ok, I see so I have to decide upon my Smalltalk of choice and/or to use
Monticelle on every of them....

>> 2) How does one Data Migration in Smalltalk? I just know it from Rails,
>> where one has migrations, but how's that done in the Persistence layers
>> of some Smalltalk. E.g what happens if I add or remove instance
>> variables?
>
> I discussed how GemStone handles this in a recent presentation. You
> can watch it by selecting the video on class versions at
> http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/smalltalks-2/.

Thanks, I'll look into it today.

>> There are somewhat related question but more about GLASS. I read teh
>> gemstone soup up and down, and was able to install the Web Edition on my
>> System also. It was a few days work but I learned a lot. However I found
>> just a few videos about Gemstone, but not more "serious" use (with more
>> database related stuff, scheme changes etc).
>
> GemStone's Programming Guide has an entire chapter on migrating
> objects. See "Class Versions and Instance Migration" in the
> Programming Guide found (near the bottom right) at
> http://seaside.gemstone.com/about.html.

Ah I have over-read it on the first round.

Thanks
Friedrich

--
Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus