64 bit images (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-dtl.268.mcz)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Jan 2 22:42:52 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-02, at 12:22 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Probably you will need to compile the VM yourself then. I do not
> know much about building software on a Mac, but John provides
> lots of documentation in the platforms/Mac OS/vm/Documentation
> directory.
>
> To make the VM for 64-bit images, there is a checkbox on the
> VMMakerTool for "64-bit image". If you do not use VMMaker, maybe
> it is enough to just edit the file src/vm/interp.h and change
> SQ_VI_BYTES_PER_WORD from 4 to 8.

For the isqueak.org SVN tree it contains the xCode folder and a premade VMMaker source folder for 32 and 64 bits,
so it's a matter of picking the target and checking the setting of the  SQ_VI_BYTES_PER_WORD
I've not included any instructions about how VMMaker works or what the settings are, because
you should just be able to SVN sync and do "build and go" within xCode.

At the moment you can build a
32 bit vm, 32bit image for  macIntel 32 bit,  powerpc 32bit.
64 bit vm, 32bit image for macIntel 64 bit.

Technically the above three binaries are built and folded into the same binary with the 32bit host/64bit vm target

The other VM flavour I have built is
32 bit vm,  64bit image  for macIntel 32bit, powerpc 32bit
However I only released the 32 bit vm,  64bit image for powerpc 32bit for testing.
I've also not checked any of the 64 bit to 32bit implicit truncation messages for this variant.

The same xCode project builds the VM for the iPhone since it shares much of the base code with the OSX version.
The only variant is
32 bit vm,  32bit image arm 6 & 7

It should be possible to build a
32 bit vm, 64bit image  arm 6 & 7

But I've not seen a need for that, obviously a 64bit image is 2x larger and memory on the iPhone is precious so why would you want to
do that?

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882