[squeak-dev] exporting Squeak's DISPLAY to another machine?

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 18:05:36 UTC 2010

I am running Ubuntu Server 8.04 (no desktop).  I've installed the
3.10-4 VM via the included INSTALL script (after changing to root).

I am able to launch an image headless just fine:

  squeak -vm display=none myImage.image &

Now I want to run an image and display it on my remote laptop.  I ssh
-X into the Ubuntu server box, but when I try to launch the image:

  squeak myImage.image &
  squeak: could not find any display driver

Make sure it is not a permissions issue:

  sudo chmod -R 777 /usr/local/lib/squeak

Make sure it looks right:

  ls -l /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-4/vm-display-X11

"-rwxrwxrwx 1 chris chris 217882 2008-11-10 18:43
/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-4/vm-display-X11"

Ok, it's there now with open permissions.  Try again:

  squeak -vm display=X11 myImage.image &

Same result.  Try exporting my DISPLAY:

  export DISPLAY=192.168.0.4:0.0
  squeak -vm display=X11 vanilla.image &

Now I get a different message:

could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
  - check that /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-4/vm-display-X11.so exists, or
  - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
  - remove DISPLAY from your environment.

Ah ha, could the problem be it is looking for a .so extension on the
plugin?  Copy it to that name too:

  cp -p /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-4/vm-display-X11
/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-4/vm-display-X11.so

I still get the same result, but it's tellling me to remove DISPLAY
from my environment..?  Ok, done.

Shoot, back to the old message:

  squeak: could not find any display driver

Now I try the same thing against a different server, a Ubuntu 8.04 (desktop).

  xhost  myServer
  ssh -X chris at myServer
  squeak myImage.image &

It works just fine, the image displays and operates on my laptop!  So,
it would seem some installation problem on my Ubuntu *server* edition.

I'm starting to pull my hair, anyone have any ideas?

 - Chris