[squeak-dev] Re: 64 bit images (was Re: The Trunk: Collections-dtl.268.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jan 4 20:16:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 07:09:01PM +0100, Laval Jannik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I understand your comments,
> So:
> - i will put word size a class var,
> - this class var will be modify only by systemTracer
>
> Now I have a question:
> Why using Smalltalk wordSize whereas the vm parameter is getting by SmalltalkImage current ?

Hi Jannik,

Different people may answer this question in different ways, because it
is a matter of style and personal opinion. But it may help to know that
earlier versions of Squeak had the vm parameter query in SystemDictionary
("Smalltalk") rather than in SmalltalkImage. This was moved as part of
a larger effort to reorganize SystemDictionary, which is a rather large
class that has accumulated many functions over the years.

As matter of function, it makes no difference either way. The part that
is subject to opinion is whether it makes more sense for a person to
say "Smalltalk wordSize" to refer to the size of a word in the object
memory, or whether "SmalltalkImage current wordSize" is more meaningful.

FWIW, my own opinion is that neither one is right, but "Smalltalk wordSize"
is easier to remember. But no matter what approach is taken, you will be able
to find someone who does not agree, so you should form your own opinion ;-)

HTH,

Dave