[squeak-dev] Re: Package unload status

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jan 5 22:48:45 UTC 2010

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2010/1/5 Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar>:
>>

>> This is GREAT news.
>> I like help with any Cuis + MC + M17N = SqueakCore , starting with
>> 3.11Unloaded.
>>

> And what to do with all changes to Kernel being added recently to trunk?
> Or you want to deal with them later, in same fashion as Juan
> backported closure compiler?

It's too early to answer these questions, but what I'm thinking goes
roughly along the lines of using Cuis to define the scope of the image
but use the implementation from the trunk. In other words, I'm more
interested to use Cuis to cut down on the number of classes and methods
in the image rather than their specific implementations. It's quite
clear that given the difference in number of methods, for example, in
class Morph (500 vs. 1000) there is a lot of room for moving things into
unloadable parts.

However, at this point, the goal still needs to be getting more packages
un- and reloadable. There is a learning process involved in that which
very useful to understand how to slice and dice the system to make more
self-contained entities.

Cheers,
   - Andreas