[squeak-dev] Re: Package unload status

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Jan 6 01:46:03 UTC 2010

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> BTW, in Cuis, Morph will eventually have a lot less than 500 methods.
>> I hope to get to about 200.
>
> Very nice. It's extremely valuable to have someone with a real
> interest in making things smaller. Coincidentally, I'm quite okay with
> the idea that Cuis will always have a smaller image than a core Squeak
> image would be. I think the important part is to have reasonable
> compatibility betweeen the two. I want compatible kernel interfaces,
> compatible collection libraries, compatible morph protocols. In other
> words, anything built for Cuis should run on top of Squeak without
> changes.

Interesting. So far I have only thought about how Cuis could support
stuff meant for Squeak!

WRT compatibility of apps with Squeak, I believe Cuis packages will fall
in 3 categories:

1) Stuff that is identical (almost) to Squeak. For example, I took the
current Compiler categories and  Kernel-Methods to support closures.
Kernel-Classes, Kernel-Objects, Kernel-Numbers and all Collections-
categories could follow. These are parts of the system that are in good
shape in Squeak, and have people doing great work there too. Stuff I
can't really improve.

2) Stuff that I have somewhat modified. I removed lots of protocol. This
obviously doesn't affect porting Cuis apps to Squeak. But I also removed
arguments, making some messages shorter, and added some convenience
methods. This is easy to address by adding an optional 'Cuis
compatibility' package for Squeak.

3) Stuff that is really different. For example TextStyle, and the new
TextEditor application. (I'm not talking about the Editor hierarchy
here. In Cuis do World/Open/Text Editor. I also have a fairly complete,
not yet released, style based text editor.) These might need being
ported to Squeak and will give some work. I could also include Morphic
here. But I also hope to replace the current Morphic in Cuis with
Morphic 3. And I also hope to be able to make Morphic 3 an optional
package for Squeak and Pharo.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich