[squeak-dev] Delay for: 60 seconds vs. Delay forSeconds: 60.

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Fri Jan 8 14:58:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 2:21 AM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi there -
>
> I just realized how silly it is to write code like:
>
>        (Delay forSeconds: 60) wait.
>        (Delay forMilliseconds: 1000) wait.
>
> when we have units available and might as well say:
>
>        (Delay for: 60 seconds) wait.
>        (Delay for: 5 days + 3 hours + 17 minutes) wait.
>
> What do people think about this? Overkill or just right?
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

I think it is great and I think what is needed is a standardized units
implementation in the base squeak.  There are plenty of units
implementations that have been around for years (some that are very well
designed and thought out) and I think the main barrier to wide adoption has
been the simple fact that none of them have been included in a base
smalltalk distribution.

- Stephen