[squeak-dev] Unimplemented calls in sq 8720 and sq 8836

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 01:12:13 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I finally got a current trunk image up running on my Ubuntu machine.

I did my standard check for unimplement calls and found 195 is sq 8720 freshly downloaded.

After running code updates to sq 8836 the number had increased by 4 to 199.

Two are due to a missing colon in PBBooleanPreferenceView class>unload .

The simple workspace doit for finding and categorizing unimplemented calls is below.

I started it for 3.9-3.10 some of the filter categories can now be retired. They are the ones commented out. I then added new categories until all the known problems in sq 8720 were filtered. So anything that appears at the bottom of the list is new.

It seems obvious to me that each new image should be tested to have no more unimplemented calls than previous images and that there should be no new uncategorized unimplemented calls. As we whittle down the old ones the test can be tightened.

Smalltalk garbageCollect.

unimp := SystemNavigation default unimplemented .

Smalltalk garbageCollect.

[
[ :list |
	unimpList := OrderedCollection new add: unimp ; yourself  .

	list do: [ :phrase | | remaining |
			remaining := unimpList removeLast .
			test :=  [ :each |
			each value anySatisfy: [ :each1 |
						each1 includesSubstring: phrase
								caseSensitive: false ] ] .

			unimpList add: (remaining select: test) ;
						add:  { remaining size . phrase . unimpList last  size } ;
					    add: ( remaining reject: test )

				] ]
		value: ( {
		"'>ccg:'" "primitives from vmmaker"
		 'test' "test case temp ivars"
		. 'SM' "Lots due to squeak map"
		. 'SAR'
		. 'parse'
		. 'Kedama' "there are a lot of these"
		. 'BalloonE' "Balloon engine"
		. 'FieldNode'
		. 'para'
		. 'hand'
		. 'MC'
		. 'bob1' "need to change message #...in: to #...inMorph:"
		. 'Transfer'
		. 'dict' "Memory Hogs is not used see mantis"
		". 'fog' ""Player stuff i wonder what fog was used for?"
		. 'Form'
		. 'menu'
		. 'transla' "Need to remove class method is in."
		. 'tile'
		" . 'dict' apparently we don't nedd this filter. "
		. 'sketch'
		. 'wir'
		". 'verypick'  this has a removal fix on mantis"
		. 'morph'
		. 'flash'
		. 'color' " just a disabled preference. no prob."
		. 'project'
		. 'service' "just checking . no prob"
		. 'hash' "really old problem. should be fixed. low priority."
		. 'Etoy'  "just checking . no prob"
		". 'PHO' " "ancient problem. remove class."
		. 'meta' "looks like a bug. old one."
		. 'OB'  "omni broser has two"
		. 'method'
		". 'closu'"
		". 'Signature' " "DSA bugs. method lost. prim not implemented"
						"used for time testing only. just remove methods"
		". 'Player'"
		. 'flapTab'  "unused menu caller. remove."
		. 'simula'
		. 'Unsent'
		. 'activate'
		. 'Install'
		. 'xport'
		. 'Editor'
		. 'Text'
		. 'Stream'
		. 'Unix'
		. 'flush'
		. 'label'
		. 'release'
		. 'process'
		. 'Font'
		. 'Change'
		. 'wait'
		. 'Cleanup' } ) .

			unimpList explore .
 ] value .

Hth,

Yours in curiosity and service -- Jerome Peace