[squeak-dev] Re: OSProcess

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 13 18:13:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:41:45AM -0600, Miguel Enrique Cob? Martinez wrote:
> El mi??, 13-01-2010 a las 11:10 -0600, Miguel Enrique Cob?? Martinez
> escribi??:
> > Hi David,
> > I am creating the Metacello configuration of OSProcess but I don't know
> > what versions are stable. Should I take the last ones in the
> > squeaksource repository of OSProcess:
> >
> > OSProcess-dtl.53.mcz
> > Tests-OSProcess-dtl.20.mcz

Yes, you should use the most recent versions in Monticello on SqueakSource.

> > or the last released:
> >

> > OSProcess-dtl.36.mcz
> > Tests-OSProcess-dtl.19.mcz

These are out of date. You can safely use the latest versions.

> Other question. What version is OSProcess currently, the same version as
> the monticello package? Or should I mark the metacello configuration as
> 1.0?

I don't know now Metacello version numbering would work, but OSProcess itself
has a version label. Evaluate "OSProcess versionString" to identify the version
of OSProcess. If it is possible to use this for the Metacello version strings,
that would be best.

> So, I have three options for the version:
>
> 0.1 as is the first version of the configuration:
>
> Gofer new
>   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>   package: 'ConfigurationOfOSProcess';
>   load.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: '0.1') load.
>
> 53 or 36 as is the version of the mcz package:
>
> Gofer new
>   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>   package: 'ConfigurationOfOSProcess';
>   load.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: '53') load.
>
> 1.0 if you determine that this can be version 1.0 of OSProcess:
>
> Gofer new
>   squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>   package: 'ConfigurationOfOSProcess';
>   load.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOSProcess) project version: '1.0') load.
>
> What do you want?

The current version level of OSProcess (in OSProcess-dtl.53.mcz) is 4.3.11, so
if you are identifying a specific version, this is what you should use.

Overall I prefer if folks can just use the latest version at any point in time.
Back when we had SqueakMap I used to package it up as a SAR file and "release"
it every once in a while, but this does not seem to be necessary any more, and
it is generally best to just use the latest version.

Thanks,
Dave