[squeak-dev] Compressed sources

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jan 14 02:54:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:59:01PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 13.01.2010, at 23:51, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> > I seem to remember a hack that allowed the sources file to be compressed on disk. It would be uncompressed on-the-fly. Does someone remember that hack? I couldn't find it.
> >
> > CompressedSourceStream & SystemDictionary>>compressSources is in our 3.8 derived Teleplace images.
>
> Ah, great, thanks! Scott also pointed me to this:
>
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3510

The necessary support has somehow survived in Squeak trunk as well,
see also FileDirectory class>>openSources:forImage:

#compressSources encounters an error in trunk, but a little bit of fiddling
around would probably get it working.

It looks like you just need to write a compressed EtoysV3.sources.stc
file using #compressSources, and it might just work :)

Dave