[squeak-dev] Re: SocketStream>>atEnd

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Jan 15 00:00:54 UTC 2010

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> It appears that im wrong. sorry for disturbing :)

...but thanks for digging in the SocketStream code! It was quite a while
since I wrote it :)

While we are at it we should improve the primitive for searching in
String/ByteArrays to include at stopAt: argument. This would increase
speed and simplify the horribly tricky logic in the upTo: family of
methods in SocketStream.

The reason for the trickiness is the fact that the search primitive
always searches to the very end of the buffer (there is no stopAt:
parameter) AND the buffer can of course include old data after the
current end marker in which we may find "false hits".

I remember the pain in writing that code...

regards, Göran