[squeak-dev] Numbered primitives in images

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 08:18:47 UTC 2010

Hi,

I tried running Scratch image with the current VM and found that it bombed
with cryptic "a primitive failed" message. Not that I expected to work
smoothly but I was surprised about the root cause - many numbered primitives
in primitiveTable (unix/src/vm/interp.c) were replaced with primitiveFail
instead of being redirected to their respective named primitive. In my case it
was primitive 207 (primNetNameResolverStatus).

Any reason why new VMs let primitives fail rather redirect them?

Is backward compability maintained only across the same major version of the
VM?

Should images warn if they are opened in a VM that may not be compatible?

Subbu