[squeak-dev] Re: SqueakDBX installation questions (problems)?

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:09:52 UTC 2010

El vie, 15-01-2010 a las 09:53 -0600, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez
escribió:
> El jue, 14-01-2010 a las 20:45 -0800, Andreas Raab escribió:
> > Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> > > If you find this difficult to do, is it is because you to use a crappy OS.
> >
> > Or perhaps it's because your instructions are so poorly written?
>
> Well, that is the same for 80% of code from smalltalk, very good code,
> crappy documentation or tutorials.
>
> And the fact is that windows is a very poorly environment to write
> generalized instructions that serve well to every user. Updated OS,
> non-updated OS, conflicting DLLS, overwriten DLLs, no way to "easily"
> know what is installed. No way to ask the users versions of packages
> installed, etc, etc, etc. And at least there is some documentation and
> Mariano isn't directing the user to read the "class comments" for help.

And BTW, now that I checked the squeakdbx site, I find it very well
documented, in fact the documentation is very professional given
smalltalk standards:

http://www.squeakdbx.org/Compiling%20and%20installing%20OpenDBX
http://www.squeakdbx.org/Compiling%20for%20different%20backends
http://www.squeakdbx.org/Compiling%20for%20different%
20backends/Different%20backends%20under%20Windows

Have you read it?

Cheers

> [...]
> > that don't tell them what and how to do it is pretty cheap. And it won't
> > do anything for your future user base if people have to assume to be
> > insulted when they can't cope with your instructions.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >    - Andreas
> >

> > >     "MysqlTinyBenchmarks new benchmarkInsert", and it crashed the VM.
> > >

> > > third, these benchmarks are for the mysql native driver, not for
> > > SqueakDBX. The same as the PG*Benchmarks, which are for the native
> > > Postgresql driver. We build them to compare results to our driver. Our
> > > benchmarks are DBX*Benchmarks.
> > >
> > > Finally, it has no sense to run benchmarks if you don't first run tests
> > > and be sure eveything works ok.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Mariano
> > >

> > >     ---John
> > >
> > >     On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM, John Chludzinski
> > >     <john.chludzinski at gmail.com <mailto:john.chludzinski at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >      > I'm afraid I don't have time now to play a "Whac-A-Mole" dll game
> > >      > trying to get this to work.  SORRY but I have a schedule breathing
> > >      > down my neck!  I appreciate your eforts though.
> > >      >
> > >      > If at some point you have a tried-and-true step by step method to
> > >      > install SqueakDBX I'd certainly be interested.
> > >      >
> > >      > THANKS again, John
> > >      >
> > >      >
> > >      > On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM, John Chludzinski
> > >      > <john.chludzinski at gmail.com <mailto:john.chludzinski at gmail.com>>
> > >     wrote:
> > >      >> I have the following dll's in my bin folder (along with
> > >     Croquet.exe):
> > >      >>
> > >      >> libopendbx-1.dll
> > >      >> libmysqlbackend-1.dll
> > >      >>
> > >      >> And I still have the problem?
> > >      >>
> > >      >> ---John
> > >      >>
> > >      >>
> > >      >> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM, John Chludzinski
> > >      >> <john.chludzinski at gmail.com <mailto:john.chludzinski at gmail.com>>
> > >     wrote:
> > >      >>> Using SqueakMap I installed "SqueakDBX, version: 1.1"
> > >      >>> (OpenDBX-Core-MarianoMartinezPeck.234.mcz).  I then installed
> > >      >>> FFI-Win32-ar.2.mcz, just to make sure I had the necessary FFI
> > >     support.
> > >      >>>  Tried "MysqlTinyBenchmarks new benchmarkInsert" again and died
> > >     with
> > >      >>>
> > >      >>> BTW, I checked and indeed libopendbx-1.dll is in the bin folder.
> > >      >>>
> > >      >>> Any ideas?
> > >      >>>
> > >      >>> ---John
> > >      >>>
> > >      >>>
> > >      >>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 5:32 PM, John Chludzinski

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx