[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Squeak on Android

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 02:21:41 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 11:12:09 pm Andreas Raab wrote:
> Some comments on the setup:
> - The VM itself is a shared library (libsqueakvm.so) the "app" is a
> wrapper written in Java.
Way to go! I feel as a library squeakvm is more portable to emerging platforms
than as a standalone command line or X11 app. As a library, squeakvm can be
easily integrated into desktop systems based on GTK+, Qt etc.
> Some comments on the implementation:
> - The image is broken into pieces since Android's AssetManager doesn't
> like assets larger than 1MB.
Another excellent idea that I would like to see merged into squeakvm trunk.

Perhaps a slight modification - instead of squeak.image.<n>, pick segments from
a directory say, squeak.imd/<n>. This would allow large images to be carried
around on (or transferred through) a traditional filesystems with 8.3 or per-
file size limits.

Subbu