[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: TrueType-nice.13.mcz

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Jan 21 04:48:19 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-20, at 6:55 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

> This particular case doesn't matter that much, but in general I'd like to see us moving in the direction of cleaner abstractions. Sure, there's lots of legacy code out there that makes assumptions about the internal structure of strings, but that's not an excuse to write more of it.
>
> Colin

If I recall correctly about a conversaion I had in  talking to David Simmons of S# fame  & QKS frame  http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-simmons/4/474/789
back in the early part of the last decade he said that String objects were unicode based and you didn't really mess with them think of them as byte arrays,
a slot wasn't a byte it was an object.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882