[squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 11:46:40 UTC 2010

> With all respect Keith, sometimes seems that you hates all the rest of
> the world, angry
> with the Board, angry with Andreas, angry with the people not using
> your projects.....maybe
> you should change something also.
>
> Cheers.
> Germán.

I don't doubt it, and never have for a second. I don't give excuses
for my behaviour.

You have all been very helpful to me, many healing experiences have
poured from these recent events. However I am not fully healed yet and
comments like this following one don't help.

 From the board's report:

"One of the issues regarding the release of Trunk development work is
how to release an image that has had many packages removed and yet
make those removals easily and obviously available for reinstallation
to users who are new to Squeak. Andreas brought this issue up on the
squeak-dev mailing in hopes that someone would become interested and
come up with a solution"

Do you have any idea how insulting is this?
Do you have any idea how insulting is this?
Do you have any idea how insulting is this?
Do you have any idea how insulting is this?

We did this 2 years ago.

When this need was the starting point of the old 3.11 process, "That
moving towards a kernel image as a goal needs tools to manage the
removal and subsequent intallation of packages, and that an image with
the ability to unload optional packages, is functionally equivalent to
an image in which you can load optional packages", off the tools are
there. The fact that Andreas hasn't thought about this before, simply
points towards the idiocy of the lets hack the image for the sake of
it approach. The board already recognised that this approach was not
getting us anywhere when they approved my proposal, and the pharo team
were proving it.

Not only that ALL the work is finished, and has been in use for more
than 18 months. Installer was originally developed for this purpose in
2006, and subsequently Sake/Packages includes dependencies, and
version control of package definitions. Again its not perfect, but the
point remains, the "community" clamoured for a solution, and we
developed it for the community, not for ourselves.

So... "someone who would become interested", I spent 3 years being
interested on YOUR BEHALF, not even for my benefit, Installer scripts
worked fine for me, I only build an image once a year or so, hand
crafting it is just as productive, especially sine out of order

So "someone who would become interested" ... you can shove it where
the sun don't shine, and I will let you know when I eventually get
healed.

regards

Keith